Thursday, June 28, 2012

Thursday, June 28

Today was the big day and it started bright and early at 6:45 AM with a trip to NSF in Arlington, VA.  After a nice breakfast, we went to the National Science Board Room where many of us sat at the biggest table I've ever seen.  I didn't take any pictures because I realized I didn't bring a charger for the camera and wanted to make sure the batteries lasted!

After a nice intro about what NSF does, we heard 3 sessions about specific programs.  I've heard of Research Experiences for Teachers and Einstein Fellowships, but not the Noyce Program.

In the afternoon, I met with Representatives Petri and Ribble.  That was a fun experience!  Rep. Petri had lots of neat old pictures of Berlin, Ripon, and other locations in his office.

At 5:45 the group of awardees walked over to the Ronald Reagan Building & International Trade Center for our rehersal.  It was like graduation rehersal all over again!  Who would ever have thought 97 math and science teachers would act like giddy teenagers.

At 7:00 the ceremony started and I didn't trip or have my shoe fall off as I made my way to my seat (Row E, Seat 3).  Right behind me was Michael Tamblyn, the math awardee from Wisconsin.

Pamela O'Neil (Deputy Assistant Director, EHR, NSF) and Cora Marrett (Deputy Director, NSF and former UW-Madison professor and other bigwig) gave the opening remarks.  Dr. Marrett mentioned me and 2 other awardees in her speech.  That was a big surprise!

I was #94 of 96 teachers to cross the stage.  Even wearing high heel torture shoes, I had no mishaps as I got my certificate, shook hands with Dr. O'Neil, Dr. Marrett, and Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan.  There will be a better picture on the official website.

After the ceremony Michael and I had met for a photo of the two Wisconsin winners (and I had a slight wardrobe malfunction) and I asked Dr. Marrett for a photo of the two of us together.



This was truly a night to remember.  Unfortunately just before the ceremony began we were informed that President Obama will be traveling to Colorado to visit with the victims of the fires tomorrow so we will not have an opportunity to meet him.  We'll still have the White House tour and will have a photo taken with the Second Lady, Dr. Jill Biden who is a community college teacher.

Thanks to Ronnie for always supporting me during my 20 year teaching career.  He has been there from the beginning in 1989 when I took my first education class at UW-Madison.  I love you so much!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like an exciting trip. Sorry Elisabeth & I couldn't take you shopping, but it looks like you did a great job on your own. You look great!!

    ReplyDelete